Go ahead. Get gooey.
Summer Squash Quesadillas
- 2 TBSP avocado oil or coconut oil
- 4 cups cubed butternut or summer squash (tip; you can use frozen squash that’s been thawed in the refrigerator)
- 2 TBSP filtered water
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- Dash sea salt
- 1 red onion, chopped
- ½ can, 15 oz can black beans
- ½ can, 15 oz can chickpeas
- 3 avocados
- 2 cups organic cheese, crumbled (your choice, but it better come from the gourmet section!)
- 8 Ezekiel tortillas
- ½ clove garlic
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Toss squash, dashes of sea salt, and 1 TBSP of oil on the sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the squash bakes, pour black beans, chickpeas, all herbs, and water into a pot and heat over medium heat until fork tender/mixed.
- Saute onions in 1 TBSP oil for 20 minutes in a skillet; they will caramelize (turn brown).
- In a large skillet, place one tortilla. Layer ~ ¼ cup cheese, then onions, then squash mixture, then bean mixture and finally another ¼ cup of cheese. Place another tortilla over the mixture. Cook until toasted.
Serve with guacamole:
Mash the avocados with 1 tsp salt, garlic, tomatoes, and any remaining onion. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper.