I LOVE metaphors. I’m a closeted Linguistics major (yep, then I also tracked for Nutrition WHILE minoring in French AND Teaching English as a Second Language.. Glutton for punishment) so my clients know I love love love to compare nutrition situations in poetic ways.
Here are some of my Monica / Essence Nutrition classics:
- You are a farmer (Overalls are SO in this season). Build a vegetable garden at lunch and dinner (this one gets REAL elaborate)
- Vary your fruit/vegetable/nut/seed/bean intake. Pretend like you’re having a party, and you want to invite all different kinds of people.
- No one ever complained about weight gain from eating “too much” fruit. If they did, they were wrong.
- Give peas a chance (everyone always avoids peas! Why?! Pea guacamole for the win!)
- Your metabolism is a campfire. Logs are meals. Twigs are snacks. (See here: SNACKS ON SNACKS ON SNACKS)
- Balance. Some days we eat escarole, some days we eat almond croissants.
- If your great-grandmother wouldn’t have recognized the food product, don’t eat it. Reference: my Eastern European grandmother versus a Nutri-Grain bar.
- Get up at work in the office and go yell at your boss (in an effort to get more movement in your day).
- Notice how toddlers will leave, like, two grapes on their plate and proclaim they are done eating? Intuitive Eating 101!
- Last, but certainly not least, #eatlikemadeleine. Wag your tail (be happy) while eating, appreciate every moment, and always greet every day and every meal with a big, tongues out, smile.
Also, just for fun, here’s a spirit vegetable quiz.